2 or 3
How to cook Hungarian Cod Casserole
- 1 pound (454 g) cod or halibut steaks
- 3 medium-size potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) thinly sliced onion
- 4 to 6 slices bacon
- Juice and rind of 1 lemon
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) sour cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash potatoes using tip of a knife, cut 2 or 3 slits into the skin of each potato.
- Arrange potatoes in a circle, onto a microwave-safe plastic rack.
- Microwave potatoes for 8 to 9 minutes on 'MAXIMUM'.
- Check for doneness with the tip of knife if needed, microwave potatoes for 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Peel cooled potatoes slice and then arrange potato slices over the bottom of a well-buttered 8-inch (20-cm) microwave-oven-safe dish salt and pepper.
- Arrange onion slices into an ungreased dish microwave on 'MAXIMUM' for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes remove from oven.
- Arrange bacon slices over 2 thicknesses paper toweling microwave for 3 to 4 minutes on 'MAXIMUM', until crunchy (some kinds of bacon only take 2 minutes to cook).
- Arrange fish steaks over potato slices.
- Pour lemon juice all over fish steaks sprinkle with lemon rind.
- Sprinkle with cooked onion and then with bacon, crumbled.
- Spread all over with 2/3 cup (160 mL) sour cream.
- Salt and pepper.
- Cover dish microwave on 'MAXIMUM' for approximately 8 minutes, until fish is flaky.
- In a bowl, mix together remaining 1/4 cup (60 mL) sour cream and paprika.
- Spread sour cream mixture all over.
- Cover dish microwave for 1 minute more, on 'MAXIMUM'.
Oven: 700 watts
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
An interesting, unusual mixture of fish (cod or halibut), sour cream and potatoes.
This recipe for Hungarian Cod Casserole serves/makes: 2 or 3
The Hungarian Cod Casserole recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Cod
Preparation Method: Microwave