How to cook Indian Coconut Whitefish Curry
- 1 1/2 pounds whitefish fillets
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 inch piece ginger, chopped
- 2 dried red chilies, soaked for 15 minutes in hot water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons tamarind concentrate
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Cut across the fillets to make thick slices. Sprinkle with lemon juice and set aside.
- Toast the cumin, fennel seeds and coconut in a dry pan until lightly golden and aromatic. Grind to a powder in a spice grinder or mortar.
- Grind the ginger, chilies, garlic and onion to a paste and add the ground spices, turmeric and tamarind.
- Fry the prepared seasoning paste in the butter for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, stirring. Add water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 6 minutes.
- Add the fish with half the cilantro. Simmer gently until the fish is tender, about 6 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice, garnishing with the remaining cilantro.
The Indian Coconut Whitefish Curry recipe easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for Indian Coconut Whitefish Curry serves/makes: 6
The Indian Coconut Whitefish Curry recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Whitefish
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered