10 - 12
How to cook Indian Masala Stuffed Haddock
- 1 large whole haddock or salmon (about 5 pounds)
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 3 tablespoons ghee*
- 1/4 cup blanched almonds
- 3 tablespoon raisins
- 6 spring onions (scallions), sliced
- 4 ounces peas
- 4 ounces mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- l teaspoon garam masala**
- 5 tablespoons chopped ginger root
- 5 green chilies, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons mustard oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Clean the haddock, rub inside and out with the juice of a lemon and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Leave to stand for 1 hour.
- Heat the ghee and fry the almonds and raisins for 2 minutes then remove from the pan. Add the onions and fry until soft.
- Stir in the peas, mashed potatoes, turmeric, garam masala and ginger then remove from the heat and leave to cool. Stir in the lemon juice, almonds, raisins, green chilies, mint and coriander. Bind the mixture with the egg and stuff into the haddock.
- Tie up to hold the fish together. Heat the mustard oil and fry the stuffed haddock for about 30 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve the Indian Masala Stuffed Haddock hot with fried tomatoes and potatoes.
*Ghee is the name for anhydrous butter fat in India. It is used especially, but not exclusively, for cooking meat, and it is essential for many Indian dishes.
**Garam masala is a blend of ground spices common in the Indian, Bangladeshi and Pakistani cuisine, whose literal meaning is 'hot (or warm) spice'.
This recipe for Indian Masala Stuffed Haddock serves/makes: 10 - 12
The Indian Masala Stuffed Haddock recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Haddock
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed