3 - 4
How to cook Indian Simmered Plaice with Fenugreek
- 1 pound plaice fillets, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh or 4 teaspoon dried fenugreek* leaves
- 1-2 green chilies
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger root
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander (cilantro)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil and fry the plaice lightly. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the cumin seeds to the pan and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and fry until golden brown.
- Grind together the fenugreek, chilies, coriander, garlic and ginger then stir the paste into the pan with the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the plaice, stir well, cove and Simmer for 15 minutes until the fish is tender, adding a little water if necessary.
- Serve the Indian Simmered Plaice with Fenugreek hot with steamed rice and okra.
*Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) is a plant in the family Fabaceae. Fenugreek is used both as an herb (the leaves) and as a spice (the seed). It is cultivated worldwide as a semi-arid crop. It is frequently used in curry.
This recipe for Indian Simmered Plaice with Fenugreek serves/makes: 3 - 4
The Indian Simmered Plaice with Fenugreek recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Flounder/Plaice
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered