4 - 6
How to cook Indian Tandoori Trout
- 1 whole trout (about 2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon garam masala*
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges Seasoning:
- 1 inch ginger root
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 inches cube green papaya
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Salt to taste
- Clean and scale the trout and wash well and make 4 incisions on either side of the trout. Grind all the seasoning ingredients together to a smooth paste then rub all over the trout, inside and out. Leave to stand for 1 hour.
- Cook under a hot grill, turning frequently and brushing with the oil, for about 10 minutes until the fish is almost cooked.
- Sprinkle with garam masala and grill (broil) until a dark golden brown.
- Garnish the grilled trout with lemon wedges and serve hot with steamed rice and chapattis**.
*Garam masala is a blend of ground spices common in the Indian, Bangladeshi and Pakistani cuisine, whose literal meaning is 'hot (or warm) spice'.
**Chapati or chapatti. Chapati is a staple flat bread of North India and Western India.
This recipe for Indian Tandoori Trout serves/makes: 4 - 6
The Indian Tandoori Trout recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Trout
Preparation Method: Broiled/Grilled