6 - 8
How to cook Indonesian Stuffed Squid
- 2 pounds medium squid
- 1 large potato
- 4 carrots
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 shallots or 1 onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 inch piece ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 4 tablespoons chopped scallions
- 1/2 cup tamarind water, seasoned with salt and pepper
- Clean the squid thoroughly, discarding the ink sacs. Chop the tentacles to mix with the stuffing.
- To make the stuffing, cut the potato and carrots into very small cubes (less than 1/4 inch). Keep the potato cubes in salted water to prevent them from discoloring.
- In a wok or shallow saucepan, heat the oil. Fry the shallots or onion and garlic until soft, and add the carrots. Stir, then add the ginger, coriander, cayenne, and salt. Stir almost continuously for about 3 minutes. Drain the potato, stir in, then add the water. Cover and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Uncover, add the chopped tentacles, and continue cooking for another 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Taste, adding salt, if necessary. When the vegetables are soft, remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool. Beat in the eggs, mixing thoroughly.
- Use this mixture to stuff the squid, but don't fill each squid too full. Close the opening with toothpicks. Arrange the squid in a baking dish, which should fit inside your steamer. (Or you can cook the squid in the oven.)
- Sprinkle the parsley and scallions over the squid and pour on the seasoned tamarind water. Put the dish into the steamer and steam for 1 hour (or cook in a medium oven for the same time).
- There will be quite a lot of juice in the dish when you finish steaming. Pour this sauce into a small saucepan, and boil to reduce by half.
- Let cool a little before removing the toothpicks, then slice the squid. Serve hot or cold, with the sauce poured over.
The Indonesian name for the Stuffed Squid recipe is Cumi-Cumi Isi
This recipe for Indonesian Stuffed Squid serves/makes: 6 - 8
The Indonesian Stuffed Squid (Cumi-Cumi Isi) recipe is adopted from The Homestyle Thai and Indonesian Cooking by Sri Owen 1988.
Main Ingredient: Squid/Cuttlefish
Preparation Method: Steamed