How to cook Irish Scallop and Mushroom Pie
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh scallops
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup sweet sherry
- 3 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, to garnish
- Cut the cleaned scallops in half if they are large and simmer them in the milk, with salt and pepper, for 15 minutes. Strain, but reserve the milk.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour, and mix well, then gradually stir in the warmed milk, seeing that it is free from lumps. Add the mushrooms, sherry, and scallops.
- Put into an ovenproof dish and cover the top with mashed potatoes. (You may wish to mix the potatoes with a little bit of milk so that they can be spread like an icing over the scallops.)
- Dot with additional butter and bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven until the top is gently browned, about 20 to 30 minutes. Garnish with parsley.
The Irish Scallop and Mushroom Pie recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for Irish Scallop and Mushroom Pie serves/makes: 6
The Irish Scallop and Mushroom Pie recipe is adopted from The Frugal Gourmet On Our Immigrant Ancestors 1990.
Main Ingredient: Scallops
Preparation Method: Baked