How to cook Italian Baked Clams
- 16 cherrystone clams
- 1/2 pound backfin crab meat
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup grated Groviera or Swiss cheese
- 4 tablespoons clarified butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Saute garlic and shallots in butter for 2 minutes over medium heat. Add lemon juice and basil. Simmer 1 minute.
- Stir in cream and simmer until thick. Add crab meat and cheese, stirring until blended. Remove sauce from heat and add salt and pepper.
- Shuck clams and leave on half shell, removing muscle and rinsing out grit. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Top each clam with 1 tablespoon or more of sauce and arrange on baking dish or pan.
- Bake 10 - 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
This recipe for Italian Baked Clams serves/makes: 4
The Italian Baked Clams recipe is adopted from L'Ecole Restaurant - Baltimore, Maryland.
Main Ingredient: Clams
Preparation Method: Baked