How to cook Italian Baked Sardines with Fennel
- 1 1/2 pounds very fresh sardines (about 16)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces dried bread crumbs
- 3 teaspoons fennel seeds, pounded until cracked
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and cook gently for about 10 minutes, until transparent. Stir in the wine, tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste and bring to the boil. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, until reduced to a thick sauce.
- Meanwhile, clean the sardines. Rub off the scales with your fingers and rinse the fish under running cold water. Cut off the heads and slit the bodies to the tails. Clean the insides with your fingers. Snip or pinch the backbones from the tails on the inside and pull them away. Rinse thoroughly, then rinse again in bowl of salted water. Close each sardine. Season each one with pepper and roll in bread crumbs to coat.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Puree the sauce in a food mill or sieve into a glass baking dish and arrange the sardines in neat rows on the sauce. Sprinkle with fennel seeds and drizzle with the remaining oil. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until golden, adding a little water during cooking if necessary. Serve directly from the dish.
The Italian Baked Sardines with Fennel recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
The Italian name for this recipe is Sardine Al Finocchio
This recipe for Italian Baked Sardines with Fennel serves/makes: 4
The Italian Baked Sardines with Fennel recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Sardines
Preparation Method: Baked