How to cook Italian Cuttlefish Salad
- 1 1/4 pounds cuttlefish
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- Scant 1/2 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Black olives
- Strips of yellow and red peppers
- Lemon wedges
- Rub off the thin outer skin of the cuttlefish under cold running water. Use sharp scissors to cut away the eyes, the hard mouth parts, ink sac and to free the bone. The latter should be discarded. Rinse away every trace of sand. Beat with a meatbat or rolling pin.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil, add the salt and vinegar followed by the cuttlefish. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour. Test with a sharp knife or fork and remove from the heat when tender. Drain and allow to cool before cutting into thin strips.
- Mix with a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, minced garlic and chopped parsley. Serve in scallop shells, if possible, decorating with black olives, strips of yellow and red peppers and lemon wedges.
The Italian name for the Cuttlefish Salad is Insalata di Seppie
This recipe for Italian Cuttlefish Salad serves/makes: 4
The Italian Cuttlefish Salad recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Squid/Cuttlefish
Preparation Method: Salad