How to cook Italian Easy Baked Mussels
- 4 dozen mussels, allow only 10 per person if they are very large
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Small bunch of parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- Fine fresh breadcrumbs
- Rinse the mussels throughly under cold running water. Scrub vigorously with a stiff brush to remove beards and barnacles. Discard any that are open.
- With a short, sharp knife open and discard one half of each shell. (Reserve any liquor or juice produced during preparation and pass through a fine sieve; mix it in a small bowl with the vinegar, 6 tablespoons olive oil, the lemon juice, and finely chopped parsley; season with salt and pepper and set aside.)
- Place the mussels on the half shell in a single layer in one or more large, shallow ovenproof dishes. Sprinkle with the prepared mixture, followed by more oil mixed with the peeled and minced garlic.
- Cover each shell with a generous sprinkling of breadcrumbs. Bake in the oven at 400 - 450°F for about 15 minutes.
- Serve the baked mussels very hot straight from the dish.
The Italian name for the Baked Mussels recipe is Cozze Al Forno
. This recipe is popular in many parts of Italy, and is very easy to cook. Because you are cooking with olive oil, the mussels can be eaten hot or cold.
This recipe for Italian Easy Baked Mussels serves/makes: 4
The Italian Easy Baked Mussels recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mussels
Preparation Method: Baked