How to cook Italian Mussels with Rice
- 1 1/2 pounds mussels
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio (risotto) rice
- Discard any mussels that do not close when tapped sharply. Scrub thoroughly, scraping off barnacles, and removing any beards.
- Rinse and place in a saucepan. Heat without adding water for about 5 minutes, shaking the pan frequently, until fully opened. Discard any mussels that do not open.
- Remove the mussels from their shells, strain their liquor and reserve.
- Peel the garlic clove and sauté in the oil in a large saucepan; remove and discard the garlic when golden brown. Add the sieved tomatoes and the strained mussel liquor to the flavored oil. Season with salt and pepper and simmer.
- Cook the rice according to the manufacturer's instructions; when half cooked, drain if necessary and add to the tomatoes. Continue cooking until the rice is done, adding the mussels a few minutes before serving.
The Italian Mussels with Rice recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
The Italian name for the Mussels with Rice dish is Cozze Al Riso
This recipe for Italian Mussels with Rice serves/makes: 4
The Italian Mussels with Rice recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mussels
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered