2 - 3
How to cook Italian Smelts or Whitebait Fritters
- 12 ounces fresh smelts or whitebait*
- 5 ounces plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup soda water
- Oil, for shallow frying
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Place the smelts or whitebait in a sieve and rinse well under cold running water. Leave to drain well.
- Sift the flour with salt and pepper into a bowl. Stir in the soda water, using a ballon whisk to prevent lumps forming-the consistency should be that of thick cream.
- Pour the oil into large frying pan until 6 mm/1/4 inch deep and heat well. Mix the smelts or whitebait into the batter and drop tablespoonfuls of mixture into the pan.
- Shallow fry in batches for about 2-3 minutes until crisp and golden, turning once.
- Drain on crumpled kitchen paper and serve the Italian Smelts or Whitebait Fritters hot with lemon wedges.
The Italian Smelts or Whitebait Fritters recipe easy to prepare and so good!
The Italian name for this recipe is Latterini o Bianchetti Frittelle
*Whitebait are the small, edible young of fresh or salt water fish, especially herring, but also sprats and smelts.
This recipe for Italian Smelts or Whitebait Fritters serves/makes: 2 - 3
The Italian Smelts or Whitebait Fritters (Latterini o Bianchetti Frittelle) recipe is adopted from La Gucina The Regional Cooking of Italy 2009 .
Main Ingredient: Smelt
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed