How to cook Italian Spinach Tagliatelle with Mussels
- 1 1/4 pounds mussels
- 1 pound fresh spinach tagliatelle
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Leave the mussles in a bowl under cold running water for 1/2 hour. Dicard any that do not close when tapped sharply. Scrub well and trim the beards. Place in a skillet with 1 tablespoon oil over high heat for 5 minutes until the shells open. Discard any that remain closed. Reserve a few of the mussels in their shells. Remove the rest and set aside.
- Pour the remaining liquor through a fine sieve and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan and brown the sliced onion and minced garlic for a few minutes.
- Add the seeded and chopped tomatoes and season with salt and pepper; add the chopped parsley and cook over high heat until the sauce is well-flavored and thick.
- Add the mussels and a few tablespoons of the reserved liquor.
- Cover and leave to simmer.
- Meanwhile cook the spinach tagliatlle for 3 minutes in plenty of boiling salted water.
- Drain and transfer to a warm serving dish and cover with the mussel sauce.
- Garnish with a few mussels still in their shells.
- Sprinkle with black pepper before serving.
The Italian name for the Italian Spinach Tagliatelle with Mussels dish is Tagliatelle Verdi alla Marinara
This recipe for Italian Spinach Tagliatelle with Mussels serves/makes: 4
The Italian Spinach Tagliatelle with Mussels recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mussels
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered