How to cook Japanese Baked Scallops and Mushrooms in Apples
- 10 ounces scallops, rinsed and patted dry
- 4 small red apples
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 4 small Japanese green peppers or 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons Japanese Mayonnaise (see below)
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 1/2 teaspoon grated yuzu* or lemon rind
Japanese Mayonnaise (Tamago-no-moto) Ingredients:
- Cut 1/2 inch from the top of each apple and reserve as lids. Using a paring knife, carefully remove and discard the core. Then, use a melon bailer to hollow out each apple, leaving about 1/2 inch of flesh on the sides and about 1 1/2 inch at the bottom. Submerge the apples in ice water with a little salt to prevent them from discoloring.
- Cut the scallops, mushrooms and peppers into small cubes. Heat the oil in a skillet and stir-fry until the scallops turn white. Season with pepper and place into a mixing bowl. Combine the mayonnaise and miso with the grated rind, then stir with the stir-fried scallops and vegetables to mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Stuff each apple with equal portions of this filling. Bake the apples in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Serve the Japanese Baked Scallops and Mushrooms in Apples hot with the lids on the side.
How to cook Japanese Mayonnaise (Tamago-no-moto)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- Pinch of salt and white pepper
- Pinch of grated yuzu*, lime or lemon peel (optional)
- Beat the egg yolks and lemon juice in a bowl using a wooden spoon.
- Continue beating, adding the salad oil a few drops at a time until the mixture begins to emulsify. Continue until all the oil is used up, then stir in the miso and season with salt, pepper and grated peel, if using.
*The yuzu is a citrus fruit originating in East Asia. It is believed to be a hybrid of sour mandarin and Ichang papeda. The fruit looks a bit like a very small grapefruit with an uneven skin, and can be either yellow or green depending on the degree of ripeness.
How to open scallops.
This recipe for Japanese Baked Scallops and Mushrooms in Apples serves/makes: 4
The Japanese Baked Scallops and Mushrooms in Apples recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Scallops
Preparation Method: Baked