How to cook Japanese Grilled Clams with Mushrooms
- 16 large clams
- 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps quartered
- 2 tablespoons Japanese Mayonnaise (see recipe below)
- 1/2 tablespoon white miso
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated yuzu* orange or lemon peel
Japanese Mayonnaise (Tamago-no-moto) Ingredients:
- Steam the clams using lightly salted water and remove from the heat immediately when the shells open. Drain the clams and remove the meat, reserving the shells.
- Cut each clam in half. Put 2 clam pieces and 2 mushroom quarters on each reserved shell.
- Mix the Japanese Mayonnaise, miso and yuzu peel together and top each clam shell with about 1/2 teaspoon of the mixture.
- Grill under low heat for 2 minutes, then serve immediately.
How to cook Japanese Mayonnaise (Tamago-no-moto)
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup salad oil
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- Pinch of salt and white pepper
- Pinch of grated yuzu*, lime or lemon peel (optional)
- Beat the egg yolks and lemon juice in a bowl using a wooden spoon.
- Continue beating, adding the salad oil a few drops at a time until the mixture begins to emulsify. Continue until all the oil is used up, then stir in the miso and season with salt, pepper and grated peel, if using.
*The yuzu is a citrus fruit originating in East Asia. It is believed to be a hybrid of sour mandarin and Ichang papeda. The fruit looks a bit like a very small grapefruit with an uneven skin, and can be either yellow or green depending on the degree of ripeness.
How to prepare clams for cooking.
This recipe for Japanese Grilled Clams with Mushrooms serves/makes: 2
The Japanese Grilled Clams with Mushrooms recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Clams
Preparation Method: Broiled/Grilled