How to cook Japanese Grilled Golden Cuttlefish
- 8 ounces fresh cuttlefish flesh, octopus flesh or firm white fish fillet
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Small pastry brush
- Beat the egg yolks lightly in a bowl and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife, lightly score to mark parallel lines 1/4 in (1/2 cm) wide on the cuttlefish flesh. Sprinkle with salt, then thread the cuttlefish flesh onto two or more skewers to prevent it from curling during the cooking process.
- Set the broiler at moderate heat. Grill the cuttlefish very quickly for 2 minutes on each side. Brush the egg glaze on the cuttlefish and continue to grill until the egg glaze sets.
- Turn the cuttlefish over and brush again. Repeat three to four times, until the glaze is an even, golden yellow this will take about 5 minutes.
- Make sure not to overcook the meat or the texture of the cuttlefish will be rubbery. Remove the skewers and slice the grilled cuttlefish through the scored lines and serve.
This recipe for Japanese Grilled Golden Cuttlefish serves/makes: 2
The Japanese Grilled Golden Cuttlefish recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Squid/Cuttlefish
Preparation Method: Broiled/Grilled