How to cook Japanese Mixed Grilled Seafood Appetizer
- 1 pound white fish fillets or small whole fish like Japanese whiting
- 8 fresh medium shrimp
- 8 small Japanese green peppers, or 1 large bell pepper, cut into 8 strips
- 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps left whole
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Oil, to brush on the bell peppers
- 1 cup Ponzu Dipping Sauce (see recipe below), divided into individual serving bowls
- 4 ounces daikon radish (about 2 inches), finely grated
- 1 lemon, cut into 8 wedges
Ponzu Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- If using whole fish, clean, scale and slice each one open lengthwise. Sprinkle the fish with salt and set aside to air-dry for 1 hour. In the meantime, peel and devein the shrimp, discarding the heads but leaving the tails intact.
- Make a small slit in the sides of each Japanese green pepper (if using). Brush the green pepper with a little oil.
- Grill or broil all ingredients under high heat, for about 3 minutes on each side. Serve with individual saucers of Ponzu Dipping Sauce, grated daikon and lemon wedges.
How to cook Ponzu Dipping Sauce
- 1 strip dried kelp (konbu), (about 2 inches long), wiped with a damp cloth
- 1/3 cup yuzu orange, or lemon or lime juice
- 1/3 cup Japanese soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tamari or dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Basic Dashi Stock or 1/4 teaspoon dashi stock granules dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot water
- Heat the dried kelp over a gas flame or under a broiler (grill) until crisp and fragrant, then put in a bowl or jar with all the other ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3 days, then strain. Can be stored for up to a year.
The Japanese Mixed Grilled Seafood Appetizer is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
is a sauce commonly used in Japanese cuisine.
This recipe for Japanese Mixed Grilled Seafood Appetizer serves/makes: 4
The Japanese Mixed Grilled Seafood Appetizer recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Seafood Mix
(more Seafood Mix
Preparation Method: Appetizer