How to cook Japanese Poached Fish
- 2 pounds (1 kg) fish (any)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sake, water or light white wine
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) freshly grated ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) green onion, minced
Sesame Seeds Ingredients:
- Pour sake, water or light wine in a large enough dish, pour sake; mix in grated ginger root and salt.
- Cover and microwave for 5 minutes on 'MEDIUM'. to enhance the delicate flavor of ginger root.
- Add fish to hot liquid; sprinkle fish fish 3 or 4 times with hot liquid.
- Cover dish; microwave for 5 to 7 minutes, according to the fish, on 'MEDIUM-MAXIMUM'.
- Check for doneness with a fork: if fish flesh is easily broken-up, it is ready.
- Leave to rest, covered, while making sauce.
- Pour sauce over cooked fish.
- Serve, sprinkled with minced green onion.
How to cook Sesame Seeds
- 2 to 3 tablespoons (30 to 45 mL) sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vegetable oil
- Transfer sesame seeds into a small bowl; pour in vegetable oil.
- Brown in microwave for 1 to 2 minutes on 'MAXIMUM', stirring 3 times.
- Set aside.
How to cook Sauce
- 3 teaspoons (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- Freshly roasted sesame seeds
- In a bowl, mix together vegetable oil, soy sauce, freshly ground pepper and reserved roasted sesame seeds.
- Microwave for 40 seconds on 'MAXIMUM'.
Oven: 700 watts
Preparation time: 12 minutes
Cooking time: 12 to 14 minutes
Roasted sesame seeds and fresh ginger give a delicate, interesting flavor to any fish fillet or oriental-style poached smelts.
This recipe for Japanese Poached Fish serves/makes: 4
The Japanese Poached Fish recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Various Fish
(more Various Fish
Preparation Method: Microwave