8 - 10
How to cook Jewish Sweet and Sour Carp
- 4 pounds fresh carp or salmon in 4 thick slices
- 2 medium onions
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 pieces cracked ginger
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 8 cloves
- 4 cups water, or as needed
- 2 lemons, sliced paper thin
- Cut onions into thin round slices, separate into rings. Combine with sugar, lemon juice, raisins, bay leaves, ginger, salt, cloves and water and simmer 10 minutes until onions are fairly soft.
- Add carp and poach gently 20 - 25 minutes (salmon will take 15 - 20 minutes) until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Do not overcook. Fish should not fall apart.
- Remove fish to deep dish in which all pieces can lie in a single layer. Strew lemon slices over the top and pour the cooking liquid with all the spices and onions over the fish; the liquid should barely cover it.
- Chill at least 8 hours and serve cold.
This recipe for Jewish Sweet and Sour Carp serves/makes: 8 - 10
The Jewish Sweet and Sour Carp Recipe adopted from Top Nosh.
Main Ingredient: Carp
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered