4 - 6
How to cook Kenyan Swahili Style Seafood Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds uncooked fish and seafood, any mixture depending on your budget
- 2 1/2 cups coconut milk, available in cans
- 3 to 4 cups fish stock
- 4 tablespoons oil or butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 pound carrots, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound leeks, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Pinch of saffron
- 2 Kenyan chiles, or jalapeños, seeds and stems removed, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- lean and cube the seafood and the fish. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot, add the onions and saute for 1 minute. Add the carrots, leeks, celery, and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the fish and seafood, wine, curry powder, saffron, chiles, salt, pepper, and bring to a simmer. Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, and fish stock return to a simmer and cook slowly for at least 10 minutes, or until all of the vegetables are tender. Then, stir in the cilantro and lime juice.
The Kenyan Swahili Style Seafood Soup is delicious African dish. We suggest a dash of piri-piri sherry to the finish off the soup. If you don't care for coconut, add 2 more cups of fish stock. Any kind of fish and shellfish can be used but avoid oily fish such as mackerel and sardines.
This recipe for Kenyan Swahili Style Seafood Soup serves/makes: 4 - 6
The Kenyan Swahili Style Seafood Soup recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Seafood Mix
(more Seafood Mix
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew