How to cook Kipper Patties with Dill Sauce
- 6 ounces (170 g) kipper
- 1 cup (250 mL) boiling water
- 3/8 cup (94 mL) long grain rice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 ounces (85 g) Cheshire or mild cheese, grated
- l/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) Tabasco sauce
- 1 egg, white and yolk separated
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) breadcrumbs
- Dill sprigs, to decorate
- Dill Sauce (see the recipe below)
Dill Sauce Ingredients:
- Skin kipper; break meat into pieces.
- In a bowl, pour boiling water over rice; sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Cover and microwave on 'MAXIMUM' for 3 minutes; microwave on 'MEDIUM' for 12 minutes more, stirring twice.
- Mix cooked rice into fish pieces, mix in grated cheese, Tabasco sauce, egg yolk; pepper.
- Shape mixture into 8 patties.
- In a small bowl, whip egg white.
- Spoon onto flour and breadcrumbs onto two separate small plates.
- Coat patties with flour; brush patties with beaten egg white and then roll patties into breadcrumbs.
- Refrigerate patties, uncovered, until ready to serve.
- Unwrap and arrange patties onto a plate, side-by-side.
- Reheat patties for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Spoon just a little of the Dill Sauce over patties.
- Garnish patties with dill sprigs.
- Serve, along with remaining sauce, in sauceboat.
How to cook Dill Sauce
- 5/8 cup (56 mL) sour cream
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) freshly chopped OR 1 teaspoon (5 mL) dried dill
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) lemon juice
- Mix together sour cream, chopped dill and lemon juice.
- Pour sauce into a sauceboat, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Oven: 700 watts
Waiting time: 1 to 2 minutes
Thawing and reheating time: 10 minutes
Kipper - A herring
that has been split, salted, and smoked.
This recipe for Kipper Patties with Dill Sauce serves/makes: 4
The Kipper Patties with Dill Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Salmon
Preparation Method: Microwave