How to cook Korean Chili Hot Squid with Vegetables
- 1 pound fresh squid (2-3 for pound)
- 2 tablespoons corn or for stir-frying, or more
- 1/2 fresh ginger, chopped fine
- 1 each large carrot, cut into slices 2 inches long, 1/2 inch wide and 1/8 inch thick
- 1 each medium size onion, cut into half moon slices
- 2 scallions, sliced 2 inches long, the thick white part halved lengthwise, then sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon gochu jang (Korean red chili pepper paste)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Korean sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch diluted in 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3 ounces thin white Japanese wheat noodles
- Clean the squid and cut them, including tentacles, into slices 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. Cut the squid's tubular body lengthwise into halves, open it up and then cut pieces to the desired size.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet, and the ginger and garlic and stir-fry over moderate heat for 1 minute. Add the squid, carrot and onion and continue to stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the squid, carrot and onion and continue to stir-fry for 1 minute, adding the scallions, salt and sugar as you fry and the natural liquid of the ingredients accumulates.
- Make a well in the middle of the mixture and put in the gochu jang paste, chili powder, sesame seeds and oil, and the diluted cornstarch and mix everything together for 2 minutes.
- In the meantime, bring 3 cups water to a rapid boil in pan, add the noodles and cook for not more than 1 minute. Rinse under cold water.
- To serve, put the squid mixture into a large round platter or bowl, make a well in the center, and add the noodles. Serve at the table this way, and then toss everything together in front of the guests or family. The diners can see the color and composition of the dish before it is mixed together, a Korean style of service in home or restaurant. Of course, if preferred, it all may be mixed together in the kitchen and then served.
- Serve warm with rice, salads, and condiments in the Korean manner.
The Korean Chili Hot Squid with Vegetables recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
The Korean name for this recipe is Maewoon Ojingau Bokum
This recipe for Korean Chili Hot Squid with Vegetables serves/makes: 4
The Korean Chili Hot Squid with Vegetables (Maewoon Ojingau Bokum) recipe is adopted from The Korean Kitchen by Copeland Marks 1993.
Main Ingredient: Squid/Cuttlefish
Preparation Method: Steamed