How to cook Korean Spicy Mackerel Stew
- 1 large (about 1 1/2 pounds) Japanese mackerel (go deung eo)
- 1 pound Korean radish, sliced in 1/2 inch thick
- 1-2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon sake (cheong ju)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Korean chili powder (goo choo ga roo)
- 1 hot chili, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 onion, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- Wash the mackerel and pat dry. Throw away head. Cut the fish into 2-inches thick steaks.
- Put radish on the bottom of a pot. Add mackerel steaks, try to spread evenly. Pour soy sauce to mackerel. Add water, sake, sugar and minced garlic.
- With a spoon, mix carefully and try not to smash the fish.
- Put Korean chili powder (goo choo ga roo) on top of mackerel. Add onion and chili.
- Cover and start cooking on a high heat. If they boiled, reduce to medium, simmer for another 8-10 minutes.
- Spoon soy sauce over mackerel occasionally.
The Korean name for the Spicy Mackerel Stew recipe is Go Deung O Jo Lim
This recipe for Korean Spicy Mackerel Stew serves/makes: 4
The Korean Spicy Mackerel Stew recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mackerel
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew