How to cook Lebanese Barbecued Fish with Tahini Sauce
- 6 whole sea bream (about 10-12 ounces each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Tahini and Parsley Sauce (Bakdounis Bi Tahini), to serve, see the recipe below
- Tabouleh or other salad of choice, to serve
- Pita bread, to serve
Tahini and Parsley Sauce (Bakdounis Bi Tahini) Ingredients:
- Clean and scale the fish, rinse well and pat dry with kitchen paper. Cut 2-3 shallow diagonal slashes into each side of the fish. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt and pepper to taste in a shallow glass or ceramic dish. Add the fish, turning to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for exactly 30 minutes, turning from time to time. (The fish is cooked by the lemon juice if left to marinate for longer.)
- Drain the fish and reserve the marinade. Cook on the barbecue over glowing coals for about 4-5 minutes on the first side, then 2-3 minutes on the other side, until the flesh flakes when teasted at the thickest part with a knife point. Brush with the marinade during cooking.
- Alternatively, whole fish can be baked in a moderately hot oven, covered with the marinade and wrapped in foil.
- Serve hot with the sauce, salad and warm pita bread.
How to cook Tahini and Parsley Sauce (Bakdounis Bi Tahini)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon parsley, finely chopped
- In a food processor or mortar and pestle, combine garlic and tahini. Add kosher salt.
- Remove from food processor and add olive oil and lemon juice. If too thick, add a teaspoon of warm water until desired consistency.
- Mix in parsley.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
The Lebanese name for Barbecued Fish with Tahini Sauce recipe is Samke Mishwi Bi Taratour
The Tahini and Parsley Sauce (Bakdounis Bi Tahini) - Middle Eastern sauce goes wonderfully with foods. It’s traditionally served with falafel and keftes, fish, salads, deep-fried vegetables - or just with pita bread.
Tahini, zhimajiang, nerigoma, or sesame paste is a paste of ground sesame seeds used in cooking. Middle Eastern tahini is made of hulled, lightly roasted seeds. East Asian sesame paste is made of unhulled seeds.
This recipe for Lebanese Barbecued Fish with Tahini Sauce serves/makes: 6
The Lebanese Barbecued Fish with Tahini Sauce (Samke Mishwi Bi Taratour) recipe is adopted from The Lebanese Cuisine by Annisa Helou 1994.
Main Ingredient: Bream
Preparation Method: Barbecue
Cuisine: Other Asian
(more Other Asian