4 - 6 servings
How to cook Lemon Shrimp Pasta with Orzo and Asparagus
- 1 1/4 pounds large (31 to 35 count) raw shrimp, peeled and deveined (use fresh or frozen, thawed shrimp)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta (I like DeLallo)
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 large lemon, zest and juice (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, plus additional for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Place the shrimp in a small bowl, sprinkle with pepper and salt, and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, oven-proof skillet or Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over medium. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft and translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then stir in the orzo. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook the orzo until it's lightly browned and smells toasty, about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and 1/2 cup water. Bring the liquid to a boil. Stir with a wooden spoon, scraping the bottom of the pan so that you loosen any stuck pasta.
- Cover the pan, reduce the heat to a simmer, and let cook 5 minutes. Remove the lid and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan again.
- Add the asparagus, recover, then continue cooking until the pasta is just becoming tender, about 10 minutes. The pasta will look a little liquidy.
- Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan, parsley, and the seasoned shrimp. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan over the top.
- Bake the pasta, uncovered, just until the shrimp are cooked through, about 8 - 10 minutes. The shrimp will be pink, fairly firm, and opaque - do not over cook. Sprinkle with additional chopped parsley and garnish with lemon wedges.
- Serve the Lemon Shrimp Pasta with Orzo and Asparagus immediately.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
A bright and zippy one-pot Lemon Shrimp Pasta with Orzo and Asparagus that's perfect for busy weeknights. Simple and delicious—even the orzo gets cooked right in the pot!.
This recipe for Lemon Shrimp Pasta with Orzo and Asparagus serves/makes: 4 - 6 servings
The Lemon Shrimp Pasta with Orzo and Asparagus recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Shrimp
Preparation Method: Pasta