2 - 4
How to cook Lobster Cantonese Style
- 1 live lobster about 1 1/2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or flavorless vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons fermented black beans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 pound lean boneless pork, finely ground
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 scallion, including green top, finely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock, fresh or canned
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Lay the lobster, shell side up, on a chopping board. Wrap one hand in a towel and hold the lobster firmly in place. With a cleaver or large, heavy knife, chop off the head at the first joint in the shell. Twist off the large claws at the point where they are joined to the body. Then separate the claws themselves from the joints, and chop both claws and joints in two lengthwise. Chop off and discard the small joints of the legs, leaving only the joint that has been nearest the body. Cut off and discard the antennae and eyes, and pull the outer shell off the head of the lobster. Save the inner cartilage-like shell but remove the gelatinous stomach sac and the gills.
- Turn the lobster over, and split the body and tail in half lengthwise. Save the brownish-green tomalley (or liver) and the black coral (roe) if there is any, but discard the long, white intestinal vein. Then, cutting crosswise, chop the body and the tail into 1-inch pieces.
- Have the lobster, and the oil, chopped black beans, garlic, pork, soy sauce, salt, sugar, pepper, scallions, chicken stock, cornstarch mixture and beaten eggs within easy reach.
- Set a 12-inch wok or 10-inch skillet over high heat for about 30 seconds. Pour in the oil, swirl it about in the pan and heat for another 30 seconds, then turn down the heat to moderate. Add the fermented black beans and garlic, and stir for a few seconds, making sure the garlic doesn't burn. Add the pork and stir-fry for 1 minute until the meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in the soy sauce, salt, sugar, pepper and scallions. When all the ingredients are well combined, add the lobster pieces and stir-fry over high heat for about 1 minute. Pour in the chicken stock, cover and cook undisturbed for 5 minutes. Give the cornstarch mixture a quick stir to recombine it and pour it into the pan.
- When the sauce has thickened and become clear, pour in the beaten eggs in a slow stream, gently lifting the contents of the pan from the sides with a spoon or fork as you pour.
- Immediately turn off the heat and transfer the entire contents of the pan to a large heated platter.
- Serve the Lobster Cantonese Style immediately.
The Chinese name for the Lobster Cantonese Style dish is Ch'ao Lung Hsia
This recipe for Lobster Cantonese Style serves/makes: 2 - 4
The Lobster Cantonese Style recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Lobster
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed