How to cook Lumpia Galunggong (Scad-Filled Spring Rolls)
- 1 pound whole galunggong (mackerel scad or round scad), cleaned, gutted and heads removed, cut into 5 - 6 pieces
- 5 - 6 dried shitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- Cooking oil for deep-frying
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 - 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup water chestnuts, chopped
- 2 cups Chinese celery (kinchay), chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 spring roll (lumpia) wrappers, Oriental food store bought or homemade
- In a bowl, soak shitake mushrooms in warm water for about 30 minutes or until softened. Remove from water and squeeze excess liquid. Slice thinly and set aside.
- In a pot, place fish, soy sauce and enough water to cover fish and bring to a boil, removing any scum that floats to surface. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes or until fish easily flakes with a fork. Remove fish from pan, discarding liquid, and allow to cool. Debone fish and flake meat.
- In a pan, heat about 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until aromatic. Add flaked fish, chestnuts, shitake mushrooms and Chinese celery. Lightly stir to combine and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from pan and drain excess liquid, if any.
- Separate spring roll wrappers into individual sheets. On a flat working surface, lay wrapper like a diamond. Spoon about 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of fish mixture on middle of wrapper. Fold bottom pointed end of wrapper over filling. Fold side ends of the sheet inward and roll into a log. Wet the pointed edge of the wrapper to completely seal. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- In a skillet, heat about 1 inch of oil over medium heat and deep-fry spring rolls, turning once or twice, for about 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
- Serve the Lumpia Galunggong (Scad-Filled Spring Rolls) hot with chili-spiced vinegar or with your favorite dipping sauce. May be topped with ground peanuts and half-fried crushed garlic.
Prep time: 30 mins
Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 40 mins
The Lumpia Galunggong (Scad-Filled Spring Rolls) recipe easy to cook and so good!
As the Filipino's answer to the Chinese egg rolls, lumpia
typically consists of a meat or vegetable filling rolled in egg-based wrappers and is either deep-fried or served fresh. Preparation for this galunggong version is similar to the more familiar lumpia shanghai but a mixture of flaked fish, kinchay, water chestnuts and mushrooms is used as filling in place of ground meat. And while shanghais go well with sweet and sour sauce, these lumpia
galunggong are best with chili-spiced vinegar dip.
This recipe for Lumpia Galunggong (Scad-Filled Spring Rolls) serves/makes: 12 lumpia
The Lumpia Galunggong (Scad-Filled Spring Rolls) recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mackerel
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried