6 - 8 servings
How to cook Mako Shark Escabeche
- 2 pounds fresh Mako shark steaks
- Seasoned flour
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup thinly sliced onions
- Bell peppers, one red, and one green, thinly sliced
- Whisk together the old, vinegar and wine, then add spices. Set aside mixture along with onions and bell peppers.
- Dredge shark steaks in seasoned flour. Fry the steaks for 3 minutes per side over medium head.
- In a non-reactive crock-pot or large glass bowl, layer onions, peppers and fried shark steaks.
- Repeat layering with the final layer being the onions and peppers.
- Pour marinade over layers until fish is covered. Refrigerate for one week.
The Mako Shark Escabeche recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
For a better taste put the shark fillets or steaks in milk or buttermilk and soak overnight. That will draw out any unpleasantness.
Escabeche is a typical Mediterranean cuisine which refers to both a dish of poached or fried fish (escabeche of chicken, rabbit or pork is common in Spain) that is marinated in an acidic mixture before serving, and to the marinade itself. The dish is common in Spanish, Salvadoran, Panamanian, Peruvian, Philippine, Puerto Rican, Mexican and Guatemalan cuisine, and popular in Catalonia, Portugal and Provence.
This recipe for Mako Shark Escabeche serves/makes: 6 - 8 servings
The Mako Shark Escabeche recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Shark
Preparation Method: Marinated/Uncooked