How to cook Malian Fish Stew
- 1 pound dried salted cod
- 4 cups cold water
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large yellow or red onions, minced
- 2 or 3 fresh red chiles, minced (optional)
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 15 to 20 okra pods, cooked
- Potato dumplings, to serve
- Soak the fish overnight in water to cover. Drain off the water, wash off excess salt, and remove any bones. In a large pan, put the fish and 3 cups of the water. Bring to a boil. Low the heat and simmer gently.
- Heat the oil in a small pan, and fry half the onions and all the chiles until golden. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 cup water and simmer slowly for about 15 minutes.
- Mash the remaining onion with the okra and add to the fish. Stir and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the fish softens and the water reduces a little. Combine the onion, tomato, and chile mixture with the fish mixture.
- Serve the Malian Fish Stew with the potato dumplings or any other type of dumplings.
The Malian Fish Stew recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for Malian Fish Stew serves/makes: 4
The Malian Fish Stew recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Cod
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew