2 - 4
How to cook Marron with Avocado Dressing
- 6 marron
- 1 tablespoon salt to every quart of water
- Cocktail Sauce (see recipe below) to serve
Avocado Dressing Ingredients:
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil, with a tablespoon of salt to every quart of water. Add enough water so that there is at least 1 inch of covering marron.
- When the water is boiling, put the chilled marron head first into the pot, taking care not to be splashed.
- Bring the water back to the boil and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on size.
- Cook for a further minute once the marron have risen to the top of the pot.
- All cooked marron are a deep red color, regardless of their shell color when raw.
- Then remove marron and immerse in cold water until cool enough to handle.
- Serve the cooked marron with Avocado Dressing.
How to cook Avocado Dressing
- 2 avocados
- Grated rind and juice of one lemon
- Pepper and salt
- 1 grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon vinegar
- Wash and dry the avocados.
- Cut in half and remove the seed.
- Scoop out the flesh and mash with a wooden spoon.
- Add lemon rind and juice, pepper, salt, onion, paprika and vinegar.
- Mix ingredients together.
Marron is a name given to large freshwater crayfish found in the south-west corner of Australia. The species have been identified as Margaret River (hairy) marron (Cherax tenuimanus) and smooth marron. The hairy marron occupies a narrow range within the southwestern biogeographical region of Margaret River. Marron make excellent eating, very similar in taste to lobster.
The taste and texture of marron is so marvelous that it is best not to overwhelm them with strong flavors.
If you don't have Marron you can use lobster, redclaw or Moreton Bay bug in this recipe.
Tips on how to kill and prepare for cooking live lobster (marron or redclaw).
This recipe for Marron with Avocado Dressing serves/makes: 2 - 4
The Marron with Avocado Dressing recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Crayfish
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered