How to cook Maryland Baked Oyster Sub
- 1/2 pint shucked oysters, drained, oyster liquid may be reserved for another use
- 1 large loaf Italian or French bread
- 8 slices bacon
- Sprinkling of all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 small green pepper, minced
- 2 medium-large tomatoes, sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cut bread in half and scoop out soft centers from each side of loaf to form a shell.
- Fry bacon in a large heavy skillet until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet with tongs and drain on paper towels.
- Lightly sprinkle oysters with flour. Fry oysters in bacon fat until nicely brown, about 1 minute on each side. Remove oyster from skillet with tongs on slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels.
- Saute onion and green pepper in skillet until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes. Add a few drops of corn oil to the skillet if bacon fat has been absorbed. Remove vegetables from skillet with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels.
- Saute tomato slices quickly in skillet, about 1/2 minute on each side. Remove tomatoes from skillet with a spatula, and drain on paper towels.
- Layer bacon and oysters on half the bread. Layer tomato slices, onion, and green pepper mixture on other half of loaf, and season with freshly ground black pepper. Press halves together and wrap the sandwich in foil.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until bread is heated through. Remove foil. Cut in 4 diagonal slices and serve immediately.
The Maryland Baked Oyster Sub recipe easy to prepare and so good!
This recipe for Maryland Baked Oyster Sub serves/makes: 4 sandwiches
The Maryland Baked Oyster Sub recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Oysters
Preparation Method: Sandwich