How to cook Mashed Potatoes with Anchovies
- 8 flat anchovies, rinsed, patted dry, and minced
- 6 large (about 3-1/2 pounds) Russet (baking) potatoes
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh chives or scallion greens
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch pieces.
In a steamer set over boiling water steam potatoes, covered, until very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a large heavy saucepan cook onion in 4 tablespoons butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened.
- Add anchovies and cook, mashing them, until they dissolve, about 1 minute.
- Stir in milk, cream, and remaining 2 tablespoons butter and heat until hot but not boiling.
- Force potatoes through a ricer or food mill into pan and stir until smooth.
- Stir in chives and salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe for Mashed Potatoes with Anchovies serves/makes: 6
The Mashed Potatoes with Anchovies recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Anchovy
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered