How to cook Maya-Maya and Fries with Garlic-Lemon Mayo
- 1 whole maya-maya (red snapper), about 1 1/2 pounds, gutted and scaled
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup plain mayonnaise
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, peeled and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon (or lime or calamansi) juice
- Cooking oil for deep-frying
- 1 large potato, peeled, rinsed, and sliced into French fry sized sticks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Chopped parsley (optional)
- Score the fish and rub inside and out with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make the garlic-lemon mayo sauce. Place the mayo in a bowl. Add the garlic and about 4 tablespoons of hot water. Whisk the mixture until smooth (use a wire whisk to make sure there are no lumps).
- The sauce should be pourable but still fairly thick. If still too thick at this point, add more hot water, 1 tablespoonful at a time, to thin it out. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok frying pan. You're deep-frying so make sure that you have plenty of cooking oil. How much exactly depends on the size and shape of your pan.
- Fry the potato fingers until browned and crisp. Scoop out and transfer to a bowl.
- Dredge the fish in cornstarch. Shake to remove any excess. You want a very thin coating just to minimize oil spatter.
- Fry the fish on until browned and crisp on the outside. Flip to cook evenly.
- Place the cooked fish on a serving plate. Top and surround with the fries. Pour the garlic-lemon mayo sauce over the fish and fries. Sprinkle with chopped parsley (optional). < /LI>
- Serve the Maya-Maya and Fries with Garlic-Lemon Mayo Sauce hot with freshly steamed white rice.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
The Maya-Maya and Fries with Garlic-Lemon Mayo Sauce recipe is a very affordable dish. Great tasting food is easy to cook and is also healthy.
You can use a whole fish, fish steaks or fillets. Whichever cut you choose, remember to rub with salt and pepper at least 30 minutes before frying. If using fillets, I suggest coating them in batter before frying.
This recipe for Maya-Maya and Fries with Garlic-Lemon Mayo serves/makes: 2 servings
The Maya-Maya and Fries with Garlic-Lemon Mayo Sauce recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Philippine Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Snapper
Preparation Method: Deep Fried
(more Deep Fried