2 - 3 servings
How to cook Mediterranean Calamari Stew
- 1 pound calamari (squid) tubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1-2 chili peppers, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounces) can chopped tomatoes
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 10 large black olives
- Sliced baguette, ciabatta or other white bread to serve
- Clean the calamari tubes and slice them into rings, about 1 inch thick. Finely chop the onions, garlic cloves, and chili.
- Heat the olive oil in a thick bottomed pan, add the onions, garlic, and chili and saute them for a few minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir for about 2 minutes. Add the calamari tubes, the tomatoes, the thyme sprigs, left whole, the bay leaves and some salt and pepper.
- Cover the pot, turn the heat down and simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- In the meantime finely chop the capers, pit the olives and cut them into rings. Add them to the stew and continue cooking on a low flame, this time uncovered, for further 10 to 15 minutes. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper. Remove the thyme sprigs and the bay leaves before serving.
- Serve the Mediterranean Calamari Stew immediately with some slices of baguette, ciabatta or other white bread.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 40 mins
Total time: 1 hour
The Mediterranean Calamari Stewrecipe easy to cook and so good!
Mediterranean calamari or squid stew, deliciously tender calamari rings smothered in an unbelievably aromatic and delicious tomato sauce with olives and capers. Everything is perfect with only some pieces of crusty white bread on the side. And you do need the bread, you will want to clean every drop of sauce off your plate with it.
This recipe for Mediterranean Calamari Stew serves/makes: 2 - 3 servings
The Mediterranean Calamari Stew recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Squid/Cuttlefish
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew