3 - 4
How to cook Mediterranean Hake Stew with Potatoes
- 1 pound hake fillets, skinned
- 1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed, peeled and cut into thick slices
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon harissa (or a large pinch of chili powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley or coriander, chopped
- 3 mint sprigs, chopped
- Put all the ingredients except the oil, fish and herbs in a pan with 1 1/2 pints water. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the extra virgin olive oil and add the fish. Cook for another 10 minutes, then gently break up the fillets into smaller pieces and add the herbs. Season and serve.
- Usually the Mediterranean hake stew serves with warm, crusty bread.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
The Mediterranean Hake Stew with Potatoes is a very affordable dish. Great tasting food is easy to cook and is also healthy.
There are fish stews with potatoes and tomatoes in every country around the Mediterranean. This one is herby, aromatic and slightly peppery. To balance the flavors, start with just a little harissa or chilli powder and add more lately if you wish. Use any white fish such as cod
This recipe for Mediterranean Hake Stew with Potatoes serves/makes: 3 - 4
The Mediterranean Hake Stew with Potatoes recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Hake
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew