4 - 6 servings
How to cook Milkfish with Black Beans and Spiced Tofu
- 1 whole mudfish (dalag), about 2 pounds, scaled, gutted and scrubbed well to remove the slime, and cut into serving size pieces
- 1 small plastic pack Chinese black beans or “tawsi”
- 1 small pack spiced tofu or “tawre”
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- Cooking oil
- All-purpose flour
- 1 cup of water
- Salt to taste.
- Fry the mudfish (dalag) pieces in cooking oil in a pan till brown. (To avoid fish from sticking on the pan, make sure the pan and the oil are heated enough before putting in the fish. Another technique of this recipe is to rub flour on the fish pieces before putting them in the hot cooking oil.)
- When brown, put away in a plate. Don’t over fry the fish of this dish. Fry just enough to keep the fish’s juiciness intact.
- Saute the garlic pieces, onions, and tomatoes in a new batch of cooking oil in a different pan. Keep steering till the tomatoes are melted.
- Put in the fish pieces and saute for some 2 minutes.
- Put in the black beans and spiced tofu and saute for a minute. Pour in water and cover pan.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until boiling. Put out fire and serve.
- Serve the Milkfish with Black Beans and Spiced Tofu hot with steamed white rice.
Instead of dalag, you may choose tilapia
or grouper for this recipe.
The Filipino Milkfish with Black Beans and Spiced Tofu is a very affordable dish. This recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
Mudfish (dalag) also known as: blackfish, grindle, cypress bass, or bowfin.
This recipe for Milkfish with Black Beans and Spiced Tofu serves/makes: 4 - 6 servings
The Filipino Milkfish with Black Beans and Spiced Tofu recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cookbook by Reynaldo Alejandro.
Main Ingredient: Mudfish/Dalag
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed