How to cook Minas Gerais Salt Cod and Cabbage
- 1 pound salt cod
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 sweet red pepper, seeded and chopped, or 1 green pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound (5 cups) shredded cabbage
- Salt to taste
- Soak the cod in cold water to cover for 12 hours or more, changing the water frequently. Drain the fish and remove and skin and bones. Pat the fish dry with paper towels and cut it into 2-inch pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and saute the onion, garlic, pepper, tomatoes, and parsley for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cod, wine, pepper to taste, and cabbage.
- Stir to mix and simmer, partially covered, until the cabbage is tender and the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, about 15 minutes.
- Season with salt, if necessary.
The Minas Gerais Salt Cod and Cabbage recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
The Brazilian name for this recipe is Bacalhau a Mineira
is one of the 26 states of Brazil.
This recipe for Minas Gerais Salt Cod and Cabbage serves/makes: 4
The Minas Gerais Salt Cod and Cabbage recipe is adopted from The Book of Latin American Cooking 1994 .
Main Ingredient: Cod
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered
Cuisine: South American
(more South American