How to cook Moqueca (Brazilian Seafood Soup)
- 1 pound any salt water white-fleshed fish fillets (I used pollock fillets), cut into small pieces
- 1 pound shrimp, shelled and deveined (size doesn’t matter)
- 2 limes
- 2 ounces palm oil (I used olive oil)
- Salt to taste
- 1 large onion
- 1 chili pepper (or to taste), stems and seeds removed, chopped
- 1 ½ (14.5 ounces) cans peeled and diced tomatoes in own juice
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 medium red bell pepper, cut into small cubes
- 4 ½ cups fish or chicken broth
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 1 small bunch cilantro, finely chopped, to garnish
- Place the fish pieces and shrimp in a bowl. Season with salt and add the juice of one lime and olive oil. Place in the fridge and allow to marinate while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Coarsely cut half of onion and put in a food processor or blender. Add chopped chili, garlic and canned tomatoes with juice. Mix until just finely chopped (do NOT puree).
- Cut the remaining half of onion into quarter rings. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a thick-bottom saucepan and add the onion. Stir fry over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tomato mixture and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Then add the bell pepper and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Pour the broth and bring to a boil. Add the coconut milk and bring to a boil again. Season with salt to taste. Add the marinated fish and shrimp. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Taste the moqueca and adjust sugar and lime juice, if necessary. Sprinkle with the chopped coriander and turn off the heat.
- Allow the moqueca to stand with a lid to infuse for 5 minutes before serving.
- Divide the moqueca among individual soup bowls and serve hot.
- Bon appetit!
(Brazilian Seafood Soup) recipe very easy to cook and very tasty too!
This Brazilian fish soup, called moqueca
in Portuguese, is rich with salt water white-fleshed fish and/or various kinds of seafood, peppers, onions, and garlic, all in a tomato-coconut broth. moqueca
is a great family dish.
This recipe for Moqueca (Brazilian Seafood Soup) serves/makes: 6 servings
The Moqueca (Brazilian Seafood Soup) recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Seafood Mix
(more Seafood Mix
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew
Cuisine: South American
(more South American