6 - 8
How to cook Moroccan Baked Whole Fish
- 1 whole fish (about 3 pounds), cleaned
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 onions, sliced top to base in 1/2 inch slices
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced in 1 1/2x1/2 inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced in 1 1/2x1/2 inch slices
- 1-2 red chiles, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 5-6 small tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 3 ounces blanched slivered almonds, finely toasted
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Rub fish with salt and prick several times on each side with a fork. Place fish in a dish and squeeze lemon juice over it. Leave for 2 hours. cook onions and garlic in the olive oil until soft. Add the capsicum, chillies, turmeric and curry powder. Cook gently for several minutes. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce and chopped coriander or parsley.
- Scatter half the blanched almonds in a baking dish. Put in half the sauce and then the fish and its marinade. Spoon remaining sauce over the fish. Sprinkle with the remaining blanched almonds and cover dish tightly with foil. Bake in oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 10-20 minutes.
- Fish should feel firm to the touch when ready. Serve the Moroccan Baked Whole Fish immediately, garnished with lemon wedges.
The Moroccan Baked Whole Fish recipe very easy to prepare and so good!
Moroccans do nor eat much fish, but when they do, it is cooked in a French style and served hot over steamed rice or couscous.
This recipe for Moroccan Baked Whole Fish serves/makes: 6 - 8
The Moroccan Baked Whole Fish recipe is adopted from A Taste of Africa: Traditional and Modern African Cooking by Dorinda Hafner
Main Ingredient: Various Fish
(more Various Fish
Preparation Method: Baked