How to cook Mussel Soup
- 3 quarts scrubbed, bearded, unshucked mussels
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro or parsley
- 3 cups water
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 1 can (8-ounces) tomatoes, drained and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy-bottomed kettle, add the onion, the garlic, and the cilantro and sauté gently for about 5 minutes until the onion is soft and lightly colored.
- Pour in the water and wine and add the tomatoes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the mussels and bring to a boil. Cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer gently for about 10 minutes or until the mussel shells have opened. Discard any mussels that do not open during cooking.
- Snap off empty half-shells and put mussels into a warmed soup tureen or divide among individual soup bowls. Spoon soup over and serve at once.
The Mussel Soup recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
This recipe for Mussel Soup serves/makes: 4 servings
The Mussel Soup recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mussels
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew