2 - 3 servings
How to cook Mussels and Shiitake with Oyster Sauce
- 1 pound fresh mussels (tahong), rinsed and debearded
- 1 tablespoon vegetable cooking oil
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 4 - 5 shiitake mushrooms (if using dried, soak them first until rehydrated), stems discarded and caps sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- A drizzle sesame seed oil
- Greens (scallions, parsley or cilantro), chopped for garnish
- Place the mussels in a large shallow heat-proof bowl. Steam over briskly boiling water just until the shells open, about five minutes. Remove immediately from the heat. Save the liquid in the bowl.
- Cool the mussels a bit then discard the empty half of the shells and that have not opened.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan. Saute the onion for half a minute. Add the garlic and continue sauteing for another half a minute.
- Add the carrot, celery and mushroom caps. Pour in the liquid from the mussels. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over high heat, uncovered, until most of the liquid has been soaked up by the mushrooms.
- Add the mussels to the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour in the oyster sauce. Stir-fry just until the mussels are heated through. Turn off the heat. Drizzle in the sesame seed oil.
- Transfer to a platter. Garnish with chopped greens.
- Serve the Mussels and Shiitake with Oyster Sauce hot.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
The Mussels and Shiitake with Oyster Sauce recipe easy to cook and so good!
Tips on how to prepare mussels for cooking.
This stir-fried dish combines mussels with shiitake mushrooms to make a hearty low-fat main dish. The mussels are steamed until they open and they are added to the rest of the ingredients at the last minute to make sure they don’t get overcooked.
This recipe for Mussels and Shiitake with Oyster Sauce serves/makes: 2 - 3 servings
The Mussels and Shiitake with Oyster Sauce recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mussels
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed