How to cook Mussels au Gratin
- 12 mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 slice bacon, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Beat the egg white with water. In a separate bowl, mix the bread crumbs and parsley. Cover and steam mussels in a small amount of water over high heat until open ( 5 to 8 minutes).
- Remove mussel meats from shells, reserving half the shells.
- Dip mussels in egg, then in bread crumbs. Place mussels back in half shell and drizzle with melted butter. Sprinkle with chopped bacon.
- Arrange each shell on a baking sheet and broil 3 to 4 minutes or until tops are browned. Serve the Mussels au Gratin as an appetizer.
The Mussels au Gratin recipe easy to cook and so good!
Gratin adapted from French cuisine is a type of casserole dish that is covered with Bechamel sauce or Mornay sauce, topped with buttered bread crumbs and/or grated cheese and either baked or broiled, then served in its baking dish with a golden crust.
This recipe for Mussels au Gratin serves/makes: 2 servings
The Mussels au Gratin recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Mussels
Preparation Method: Appetizer