How to cook Nouvelle Pompano en Papillote
- 4 pompano (flounder, trout or salmon) fillets, about 6 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/2 cup scallions, green part only, thinly sliced
- 1/2 stalk celery, cut into matchsticks
- 4 teaspoons fresh dill, snipped fine
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco jalapeno pepper sauce
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut the paper large enough to enclose the fish completely, with enough overlap to fold over to make a tight seal.
- After washing the fish fillets and checking for bones, generously butter each fillet. Place them on the parchment paper. Top with the scallions, celery, dill, and tarragon.
- Combine the lemon juice, white wine, and Tabasco. Sprinkle the mixture all over the fish. Add salt to taste.
- Fold the paper over and fold the edges down hard, then fold down again to seal the pouch as securely as possible. Place the papillotes on a baking pan and place them in the center of the oven. Bake for 15-18 minutes (longer if the fish is thick).
- Remove the papillotes from the oven and place on serving plates. Serve the Nouvelle Pompano en Papillote immediately with a sharp steak knife for opening the bags.
- The fish should be eaten right out of the bag. (On a plate, of course.)
You can use uncoated butcher paper if parchment paper is not available.
The Nouvelle Pompano en Papillote is a very affordable dish. Great tasting food is easy to cook and is also healthy.
is an East Coast fish that runs from New England to South America.
is a popular food fish. Its diet yields a rich but mild flavor.The pompano’s flesh is oily and looks white and opaque. A popular dish created in New Orleans, called “pompano en papillote,” is wrapped in parchment paper.
En papillote is a French cooking technique that steams food by enclosing it in parchment paper and heating it in a conventional oven. The method is most often used to prepare vegetables, fish, shellfish or boneless chicken breast. Liquid is often added to the package to flavor the food and create the steam.
This recipe for Nouvelle Pompano en Papillote serves/makes: 4 servings
The Nouvelle Pompano en Papillote recipe is adopted from Chef Anna's Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Pompano
Preparation Method: Baked