How to cook Orzo with Grilled Swordfish and Kale Pesto
- 1 pound swordfish steak, about 1 inch thick
- For the Orzo:
- 12 ounces orzo
- 1 (14.5 ounces) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- For the Kale Pesto:
- 4 cups tightly packed kale leaves, stems removed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
- Generous pinch red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- For the Fish Marinade:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the kale pesto: Add the kale and garlic to a food processor, coarsely chopping to create enough room for the other ingredients. Next add the pumpkin seeds, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, cheese, and 2/3 cup of olive oil, and puree until it comes to a nice smooth consistency. Set the pesto aside.
- Make the swordfish marinade: in a large combine the 1/4 cup of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, basil, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat a grill to medium-high. Rinse and pat dry the swordfish. Add it to the bowl with the marinade, and turn it over so that the swordfish is well coated. Set aside to marinade for about 10 minutes.
- Begin boiling water for the orzo and cook according to package instructions while the swordfish marinates and starts being grilled.
- Drain the orzo when done, and toss with a couple scoops of the kale pesto. Stir in the beans. Cover to keep warm while the swordfish is prepared.
- After the swordfish marinates for 10 minutes, start grilling the fish by placing it on the grill. Grill the swordfish with the grill covered for 6 minutes. Flip the fish to the other side, and brush the side now facing up with the orange juice.
- Grill another 6 minutes, and check for doneness. You want the fish to be just cooked through (all white) but still moist. This typically takes 12 to 15 minutes of total grilling time depending on the thickness of the fish. When the swordfish is done remove it to a platter.
- Plate some orzo, then place a portion of the swordfish on top of the orzo. Spread some extra kale pesto on top of the swordfish, and serve. Repeat with the other plates, then enjoy!
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
The Orzo with Grilled Swordfish and Kale Pesto recipe very simple to cook and very tasty too!
Orzo served with grilled swordfish and zesty kale pesto for a tasty and healthy dinner.
This recipe for Orzo with Grilled Swordfish and Kale Pesto serves/makes: 4 servings
The Orzo with Grilled Swordfish and Kale Pesto recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Swordfish
Preparation Method: Broiled/Grilled