4 - 6 servings
How to cook Pesang Bangus
- 1 medium whole Bangus (Milkfish), cleaned and cut into serving sizes
- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters
- 1 ginger knob, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, cut into 4-5 pieces
- 1 potato, cut into quarters
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into quarters
- 3 saging na saba (Filipino cooking banana), peeled and sliced diagonally
- 2 bunches pechay leaves
- 5 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- Patis (Filipino fish sauce) to taste
- 1 Knorr Fish Cube or Chicken Cube (Optional)
- For the Miso Dip Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1/4 cup, yellow miso
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Cooking oil
- Season Bangus with salt and rub with a little ginger and set aside. (You can do this the day before, just place it in the ref, I noticed that it really helps the fish to become more tasty.)
- In a pot, bring water to a boil, then drop in the vegetables: carrot, potato, and sweet potato.
- Let it cook for about 5 mins. before adding in the Bangus, ginger, onion, whole peppercorns. Season the soup with fish sauce, salt, and Knorr Fish/Chicken Cube.
- Adjust according to taste. Add the banana and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and the fish is cooked.
- As the vegetables begin to soften, you can mash 1 or 2 pieces of sweet potato and banana to add a natural sweetness to the broth.
- Add pechay leaves into the hot soup, just before serving.
- To cook the Miso Dip Sauce: In a small pan saute garlic, onions, tomato, and miso. Add 1/2 cup water and cook for about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Ladle the Pesang Bangus into individual bowls and serve with a side of Miso Dip Sauce or simply Bagoong Guisado or sauteed shrimp paste.
The Pesang Bangus
(Milkfish in Ginger Soup) easy dish to prepare and a healthy one too.
Dalag (Mudfish) or Bangus (Milkfish) are usually used for pesang isda. Pesa is a ginger flavored fish soup with vegetables usually pechay, serve with miso dip. The miso dip is made up of ground fermented soya beans sauteed in garlic, onion, and tomato. The Pinoy miso is available in three colors white, brown and yellow. The colors suppose to defend on a type of bean used. Pesa is very popular in Laguna or Tagalog region in general. Pesa is different from the popular sinigang sa miso. As I said pesa is ginger flavored and sinigang sa miso means soup soured with miso.
This recipe for Pesang Bangus serves/makes: 4 - 6 servings
The Pesang Bangus recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Milkfish
Preparation Method: Soup/Stew