6 - 8
How to cook Pickled Herring Salad
- 6 salted herrings
- Milk, as required
- 10 sour apples, peeled and cored
- 1 beetroot, cooked
- 1/4 pound (110 g) cooked veal
- 6 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/3 pound (150 g) potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons vinegar
- Soak the herrings overnight in milk or a mixture of milk and water, then bone the herrings and cut the flesh into thin strips.
- Chop up the apples, the beetroot, the veal and the eggs.
- Combine all these ingredients with the mashed potato, and moisten the mixture with oil and vinegar.
- Put it in a china basin or bowl and press it down so that it will take on the shape of this recipient when turned out on to a platter. It can be covered with mayonnaise.
The Dutch name of this recipe is Haringsla
The Netherlands are famous for their Herring, so it isn't surprising they use it in many recipes. This is a salad with pickled Herring. Of the dishes which the Dutch prepare from herring, this is perhaps the most typical. The Haringsla recipe comes from Recepten van de Haagsche Konksclool (1895).
Taste this unusual combination of herring and veal in this recipe.
This recipe for Pickled Herring Salad serves/makes: 6 - 8
The Pickled Herring Salad Recipe adopted from the book North Atlantic Seafood.
Main Ingredient: Herring
Preparation Method: Salad