6 - 8
How to cook Pike in Broth
- 1 (4-pound / 1.8-kg) whole pike
- 16 to 20 cups (4 to 5 L) fish stock
Buttery Sauce Ingredients:
- Prepare and heat fish stock.
- Scale, clean and remove gills from pike cut off fins.
- Leave head and tail on, as they are part of the spectacular presentation of this dish.
- Wash fish, making sure to remove any silt.
- Blood, all along backbone must be scraped off.
- Arrange pike into a fish-kettle (or a very large casserole), cover fish with lukewarm fish stock.
- Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, but fish stock must simmer.
- Laddle out any foam.
- Cover fish-kettle or casserole and poach fish for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare buttery sauce.
- To serve, delicately remove pike from fish stock.
- Using a small, sharp knife, skin fish leaving heat and tail intact.
- Transfer hot fish onto a large serving plate.
- Decorate with parsley and lemon.
- Pour buttery sauce into a sauce-boat.
- Serve immediately.
How to cook Buttery Sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) butter
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) minced green onions
- 4 ounces (125 mL) dry white wine
- 8 ounces (227 g) unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
- Melt tablespoon (15 g) butter into a casserole.
- In melted butter, just soften green onions, for approximately 4 minutes.
- Pour in dry white wine higher heat and boil until reduced by 2/3rds.
- Lower heat to low.
- Slowly stir in unsalted butter.
- It is essential, to get a nice sauce, to slowly add unsalted butter, whipping, until foamy.
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- In order to get white, green onion melted butter, do not boil.
This recipe for Pike in Broth serves/makes: 6 - 8
The Pike in Broth recipe and the pictures are adopted from The Our Favorite Fish & Seafood Recipes Cookbook.
Main Ingredient: Pike
Preparation Method: Poached/Simmered