How to cook Pinoy Burong Dalag (Fermented Mudfish)
- 2 pounds (1 kg) mudfish (Dalag)
- 2/3 cup salt
- 3 cup cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon angkak (herb for coloring)
- Garlic, minced
- Onions, chopped
- Tomatoes, chopped
- Dash of MSG or vetsin
- Scrape scales of fish. Slit at the back from head to tail and spread. Cut into 4 pieces. Clean. Drain and rub with salt. Set aside for 2 hours.
- Combine cooked rice, salt to taste and angkak. Pack fish and rice mixture in an earthen jar (Palayok) or a bottle with wide mouth. Cover tightly. Store in the refrigerator.
- After one week, you may then saute the buro - Burong Dalag.
- Saute minced garlic till brown, add chopped onions and tomatoes.
- Stir for 3 minutes and add burong dalag with the rice mixture.
- Add a little water and a dash of MSG or vetsin. Cook for 10 minutes.
Instead of dalag, you may choose tilapia
or gurami for your buro
This recipe for Pinoy Burong Dalag (Fermented Mudfish) serves/makes: 6
The Pinoy Burong Dalag (Fermented Mudfish) recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cook Book.
Main Ingredient: Mudfish/Dalag
Preparation Method: Pan Fried/Sauteed
(more Pan Fried/Sauteed