6 - 8
How to cook Pinoy Calamares
- 2 pounds medium sized squid (calamari)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup oil
- Juice of 3-4 calamansi (limes)
- Chili pepper
- Lettuce (optional)
- Clean the Squid, remove the head, ink sacs and tentacles discarded, outer purple skin peeled off and do not cut squid open.
- Slice squid into 1/2 inch rings. Marinate in calamansi juice for about 25 minutes.
- Dip squid rings in egg whites, then dredge in flour.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry squid rings in hot oil a few pieces at a time until they turn golden yellow, about 1 minute. Do not overcook as this will make the squid tough.
- Remove squid rings from the wok and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- If desired, place a bed of lettuce. Serve the Pinoy Calamares with Garlic Mayonnaise Dip as an appetizer or as a pulutan with drinks.
The Pinoy Calamares is a very affordable dish. This recipe is delicious, simple, and really easy to cook.
This recipe for Pinoy Calamares serves/makes: 6 - 8
The Pinoy Calamares recipe is adopted from The Philippine Cook Book.
Main Ingredient: Squid/Cuttlefish
Preparation Method: Appetizer